Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Way We Fall

The Way We  Fall / Megan Crewe

 
When sixteen-year-old Kaelyn lets her best friend leave for school  without saying goodbye, she never dreams that she might not see him again.  Then a strange virus begins to sweep through her small island  community, infecting young and old alike.  As the dead pile up, the government quarantines the island: no one can leave, and no one can come back.  Those still healthy must fight for the island’s dwindling supplies, or  lose all chance of survival. As everything familiar comes crashing down,  Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the  midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest.  How will she go on if there isn't?

The Way We Fall is book one of a series called "The Fallen World" trilogy.

Discussion Questions:

-Did you like the format of this book written as a journal entry?

-Why did you think that Kaellyn survived when so many in her life didn't? Is it a question of destiny or fate and or just luck?

5 comments:

  1. I loved how the story was written in journal entry format. It gave me a great look inside Kaelyn's head and it really allowed me to see the town through her eyes and it was heart breaking. If it had been written differently I don't think the story would have been as effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Kaelyn survived when so many others in her life died based off of pure luck. I truly believe what saved her was getting the fever the year before and having the antibodies in her system. Without them she wouldn't have been able to fight off the disease especially when it was massacring healthy young males (like Warren). Also I think that it was the decisions other people made that kept her safe for so long and then afterwards like her mother quarantining herself away from her children as soon as she felt something. But mostly I believe it was luck and possibly fate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was a flawless book. It was so sad, so tragic, romantic and perfect. It had me in tears by the time it ended and in awe of the author. The situation was heart breaking having everyone she loved die and the way it was written made me feel Kaelyn's pain. It also was very creepy and mysterious so it added an element that made you really think about what you were reading. It also made me think about just how lucky I am to live the life that I do especially because it really could be so much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good book, but nothing too outstanding and exceptional compared to the others I've read. There wasn't really a climax, which was kind of dull, and I think that because it was written after certain events had happened, she was unable to properly express her feelings at the time, and it took away from a lot of the shock and sadness when character died. The main character also seemed a bit helpless to me despite her efforts. SO once again, it was a good book but is probably my least favourite of the 4 nominees I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed Megan Crewe's The Way We Fall. It was a good 'end-of-society" story.

    Kaelyn's journal provided an emotional insightful narrative. The journal entries provided experiential insight on the unfolding events of the sickness, its effects on the community, how the outside world reacted, and the consequences of it on her relationships. As the impact of the sickness became increasingly destructive upon the services and the manpower of the community, it is not hard to empathise with Kaelyn's uncertainty and levels of stress.

    The story was believable, but more importantly, it made me think about how things would work or not work in the event of serious pandemic.

    A good story, easy to read, I have no difficulty recommending it.

    Mr. Krall~

    ReplyDelete