Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dark Inside

Dark Inside/ Jeyn Roberts

Mason's mother is dying after a terrible car accident. As he endures a last vigil at her hospital bed, his school is bombed and razed to the
ground, and everyone he knows is killed. Aries survives an earthquake  aftershock on a bus, and thinks the worst is over when a mysterious stranger pulls her out of the wreckage, but she's about to discover a world changed forever.
Clementine the only survivor of an emergency town hall meeting that  descends into murderous chaos, is on the run from savage strangers who used to be her friends and neighbors. And Michael witnesses a brutal road rage incident that is made much worse by the arrival of the police--who
 gun down the guilty party and then turn on the by-standing crowd.
   Where do you go for justice when even the lawmakers have turned bad? These  four teens are on the same road in a world gone mad. Struggling to survive, clinging on to love and meaning wherever it can be found, this is a journey into the heart of darkness - but also a journey to find each other and a place of safety.

This is book one of a story and is continued in "Rage Within" (also found at the Centennial Library).

Discussion questions:

-This book has been tagged as a book for  "people who like action and post-apocalyptic visions" and "creepy". What were your overall impressions of this book?

-Baggers or Zombies? The same? Different?

-How did you like the book from the four perspectives of the main characters? Would you have preferred a singular voice who told the story from their own unique perspective?

4 comments:

  1. I really liked this book, and although I have only read one of the other nominees at this time, I have a feeling this will be my choice for the winner. It had everything I usually look for in a book, with suspense, action/adventure, an interesting and original plot, and likeable characters. It kept me intrigued throughout, and failed to bore me. P.S. The sequel was also very good, although I think I preferred the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeyn Roberts' novel, Dark Inside, was an enjoyable apocalyptic vision. The conflict driven plot moved quickly and each chapter was action packed.
    Telling the story from the perspectives of four different characters created a variety of insight towards the terrifying experience of society disentegrating into violent chaos. The four different narrators skipped back and forth amongst their unfolding journies of struggle across North America.
    I liked how the novel occured in familiar places. Also, it was interesting to see how the characters coped with the sudden dramatic changes in their lives. It is always interesting to think about the 'what ifs' in the event of the apocolypse (whatever that may be).
    I found the story to be a little disjointed at times in its plausability. It is hard to discern what is causing people to become 'dark inside'. At times, it is hard to understand the realness of their situations. Perhaps, thats what makes a good story --- the reader develops angst as they disagree with the choices made by the characters. Overall, Dark Inside, is a good read for young adults, and will appeal to those who enjoy the apocolyptic genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark inside was a book that was good in every way and turly captured the horror of a post apocalyptic world with a fresh and orignal idea. The baggers in this book differ quite alot from a zombie in that they have the capabilty to think, use weapons and formulate plans and even occasionally snap out of their trance to see what they've done. Im not sure about this but it seems to me like everyone on the planet who was full of hate, fear, doubts and overall darkness are the ones who become baggers and go around killing people while the good people are the ones caught in the middle. It also seems like those who are kind of 50/50 in terms of light/dark only go into the bagger mode sometimes while other times are normal.(Like Daniel/Nothing) This was a really cool concept if I am indeed right and certainly orginal. The writing and the characters were superb and behaved like real human beings instead of your classic hero which I both liked and disliked. There were some moments when my favourite characters did something so unexpected and sometimes terrible that I was in shock. I really enjoyed the book but I must say it was very VERY dark and depressing at times (Though I am a bit of a softie) although I guess if your making a post apocalyptic drama it cant be all sunshine happy times I just wished the author left out some of the stuff like 4 year olds getting butchered and pregant women getting killed. I think the book was trying way too hard to be dark and edgy and it acutally bummed me out quite a bit (Though again I am a wuss) and for that reason I am not sure if I will read the sequel. Overall though it excelled in every way and is a true masterpiece in drama and suspense if you can handle all that depression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't enjoy this book as much as i thought i would. The vocabulary was juvenile and not at the level i'm used to reading. The different perspectives were confusing and I didn't get to know the characters as well as i would have liked to. Overall, the plot was well thought out and something different. I also enjoyed how it kept you in the dark about "nothing" and how Daniel was so mysterious. I think the squeal will be more enjoyable now that the group is together.~ Brooke Ferrara

    ReplyDelete